Friday, March 16, 2012

Genjo the Treasure Hunter, Part 1

It was only five days ago that I cheated death at Helgen. Today, I cheated death again.

Divines smile on both of us!
I did my usual morning routine of working at the lumber mill and thinking about my future. I went to bed thinking I'd be going to Whiterun today, but as I watched Faendal working at the mill, I realized I had some unfinished business here in Riverwood. I approached him and asked him if he wanted to join me on a quest to help the Riverwood Trader, and by association help Camilla. I knew what his answer would be before I asked. We took the time to train our archery skills together, then we geared up and dropped in on Camilla and Lucan to get the details of their burglary. Thus the quest to retrieve the Golden Dragon Claw was set in motion. If we'd known what we were in for up at Bleak Falls Barrow, we may have reconsidered.

The Morning's Last Respite
Camilla walked us to the edge of town, explaining to me in detail how to reach Bleak Falls Barrow, where she and Lucan believed the bandits had taken the Golden Claw about five days ago. None of us were sure they were still there, but there was only one way to find out. Faendal and I began our way up into the mountains for a day we won't forget anytime soon. Our climb started out as unremarkable. We killed a wolf that had not seen us yet. Then we found the tower I had seen in the mists two days ago. It seemed like a good outpost for these bandits that were infesting the surrounding Riverwood area so we approached it cautiously.

You can't see him, but Faendal is lurking in those bushes to the right.

We were correct. There were several bandits holed up in this tower. They were probably some form of lookouts for the troop located farther up the mountains at the Bleak Falls Barrow, but they failed. Faendal and I learned a valuable lesson from this tower encounter. We make an excellent team. Without any real communication, we devised a flanking maneuver using our stealth, and it was augmented with our long hours of archery practice. We were able to surround and defeat bandits before they could even get to us. I would draw them out by marching up the road. Faendal would slip around in the bushes and fire from a hidden location. The tower bandits were no match for these tactics. After carefully investigating this tower for the Golden Claw, we decided to move on.

Intimidating Complex
When we reached the entrance to the Bleak Falls Barrow, which you can see for miles around, I realized it was going to be a problem. We couldn't just march up the front steps or we would be swarmed with bandits on all sides. This called for caution and careful planning. I instructed Faendal to stay alert and keep watch while I scouted the perimeter for alternative ways up to the barrow. I hoped we could out-flank all the bandits camped here as easily as we had at the tower just down the mountain. This scouting mission ultimately saved my life as I'll explain in a moment. I found two alternative ways up to the entrance. One path involved inching along a narrow ledge to get to the far side of the complex and work our way up from behind. Although we would be behind the bandits, I would have preferred to strike from the high ground, so I continued my search.

This ledge will be important later.
I ultimately found a way up to the top level of this structure and decided Faendal and I would strike from here. I had counted four, maybe five bandits in my scouting and Faendal agreed. We could easily overtake this force with the advantage of surprise, stealth and the high-ground. We launched our attack. Again, without communication, I drew the bandit's attention while Faendal flanked the bandits who rushed up to impale me. It was expertly executed. Though, we both received some cuts, scrapes and arrows to the knee. The initial rush ended and both of us thought we'd gotten all the bandits, but there was a chance one or more were lurking in the shadows waiting to ambush us, so we proceeded carefully along the top level to the entrance of Bleak Fall Barrow.

Faendal used to be a lumberjack like me, but then he took an arrow to the knee.
We were standing at the entrance when we saw three men approach. We immediately hid behind some pillars and watched as one remaining, hidden bandit was run through by the three men. We could see that unlike the bandits who had been wearing leather and hide, these men were wearing some strong, iron armor and were well armed. The fact that they ruthlessly murdered a bandit only showed us that they meant business, but were they friend or foe? Faendal motioned that he'd never seen them before and so we waited and watched as the three men approached. They were coming up the stairs, heading straight for us. They appeared to know we were there, despite being well hidden.

I decided that there was no point hiding so I came out from behind the rocky pillar with my weapons secured and my hands raised. I told them I meant them no harm and we were looking for something that was stolen from a nearby town. They ignored me. The obvious leader of the three thugs turned to the other two and said, "Yup. He's the one we were sent to find. Get him!" A chill ran to my bone. I was in serious danger, and unprepared for it. Faendal was by my side instantly, but within seconds he had been disabled, perhaps dead. I lost sight of him as I rushed backward, pulling my dagger free in an attempt to defend myself from these men. As the fear gripped me, a sensation welled up inside me - something unusual that I'd never felt before. It tingled and burned simultaneously and with an outstretched hand a blast of blue energy shot forth.

Genjo the Summoner
I summoned a spectral wolf to aid me in my battle! How? I still am confused where this dormant magical power came from. It must be a part of my Breton heritage, but why had it only now manifested? Was it the fear or the adrenaline? I didn't have time for these thoughts in the heat of the battle, however. The wolf served me well as a distraction, but he was not powerful enough to take on even one of the three men. As they turned part of their attention to my wolf companion, I took the time to drain what limited supply of health potions I had available. It was becoming clear to me that I could not fight these men all at once and alone.

I rushed down the stairs away form the entrance to the barrow and stumbled over the bandit these men had killed on their way to find me. My spirit wolf was gone. I felt it fade out of existence. Faendal was no where to be seen. I was all alone and these men were bearing down on me. I tried to face them, but they managed to flank me much as Faendal and I had done to our foes earlier. I tried to keep a pillar between myself and the men, but eventually one circled around to sneak up behind me. I was bleeding from multiple wounds. I was feeling faint. This was going to end in death if I didn't think quickly. I jumped down to a lower level and realized I was near that narrow ledge I had found earlier - there was no way they could flank me there! This idea proved to save my life.

I ran to the ledge as the men were rushing down the stairs behind me. I managed to lodge an arrow in the lead man, slowing him, but the other two were quick to take his place. I just needed to keep them focused on coming at me and not give them a chance to go around and surprise me from behind. I carefully inched along the ledge, careful not to lose my footing on the snowy shelf. Then I turned to face the men one by one. I could barely stand, I was getting so weak from blood loss. I knew that this was going to be my final stand. It was me or them. One by one they came out onto the ledge. I slashed and jabbed with my dagger - a tool that seemed inadequate looking back on this fight. The first man deflected my dagger easily off his weapon, but the force caused him to slip and he fell from the ledge to his death. The man behind him was stunned by what had happened, then he was enraged. He lunged at me and I managed to step back out of the way of his thrust. I sliced at him and he tried to dodge, but also fell to his death. I heard him crunch in the snow below me.

The last man did not seem so foolish. He did not come out on to the ledge. He could see I was wounded and close to passing out. He had a cruel smile on his face and waited for me to come to him. He wouldn't be baited and he knew if he just waited long enough, I'd pass out soon. Then my salvation came. An arrow pierced his throat, the force of which sent him sailing off the cliff to join his companions in the afterlife. Faendal emerged and helped me off the narrow ledge. We had both nearly died, but somehow we had come out alright. We had defeated these powerful men. We laughed in near hysterics through the pain as we bandaged each other's wounds and drank the potions that would heal them and restore us to health. We had done it.

Here They Fell
An inspection of the men revealed a contract for my death or capture from an unknown "bandit." I suspected the incident at Embershard Mines had caught up with me, as I could not recall angering any bandits prior to that. Perhaps they were affiliated with these bandits at Bleak Falls and had hired men to track me down and bring me to bandit-justice. I do not know, and with such a vague signature, there is no way for me to find the man who sent these men after my head. Faendal and I ate lunch and recovered. We allowed ourselves time to calm down after that fight that was so close to ending in our own deaths. We had to rally and recover before we could enter the barrow itself and recover the Golden Claw.

Who is this mysterious "Bandit?"
I will continue to log this adventure later. For now, I must rest.





The OOC Corner - Reader's Poll & Author's Notes

TO BE CONTINUED!

This half of the adventure was incredible. I was so anxious and stressed out about defeating these men who literally had me to the brink of death twice! I could not even continue playing after this I was so worked up. Trying to play for an audience, and trying to keep a game character alive when the world is out to get him is quite an exhilarating experience. It's very rewarding for me. Genjo is only level 2 and only been on 2 adventures, but they're probably the most fun I've had in the entire game thanks to this blog and my loyal readers. I hope you continue to enjoy it for a while to come.

Mods I'm running:
  • Craftable Arrows
  • Dynamic Merchants
  • Im's More Complex Needs
  • Camping
  • Realistic Lighting
Now onto the Interlude Poll!
I will only run this poll for 36 hours instead of 48, so I can post Part 2 sooner.

What skill does Genjo improve?

1 comment: