Saturday, March 24, 2012

Genjo the Treasure Hunter, Part 2

After recovering from the attack of the thugs, who were sent to teach me a lesson, Faendal and I made our way into the temple that had been built above this barrow. We heard talking as we entered and proceeded carefully. It appeared there had been a scuffle with some skeevers which some of the bandits had lost. Skeevers aren't very formidable, so it gave me some hope that after the struggle to survive outside with the hired thugs, these bandits would be push overs. My assessment was correct. Faendal and I managed to strike easily from the shadows and the battle was over before the bandits were aware it had begun.

Amateurs
This structure was ancient and enormous. My heart was still racing from the near death experience outside, so I was jumping at every shadow just beyond my torchlight as the two of us made our way deep into this temple. The bandits were few. We killed perhaps one or two more from the safety of the shadows as we made our way towards the burial chambers under the temple structure. It was becoming a bit disheartening that none of these bandits had the Golden Claw. Could Lucan and Camilla been wrong about these bandits taking it? Camilla seemed to think Lucan knew more about the Claw than he let on and that one of the reasons he set up shop in Riverwood was because of the Claw, so it gave me hope that it was somehow tied to this ancient burial ground.

This is some unsettling decor.
The depths got deeper and darker, and suddenly they were covered in spider webs that we had to practically wade through. It was unnerving. I didn't see many spiders, so I could only dread what had covered these catacombs with all this web. The deeper we went into these catacombs, the more terrible things were becoming for Faendal and I. Unfortunately, I didn't have to wonder for very long. A voice was calling out from the halls ahead of us, begging for help and warning us of imminent danger. When we pushed through all the web-filled hallways into a large open chamber, a truly blood curdling creature descended from the ceiling high above. Fortunately for us, this spider was previously wounded.

We run away like heroes a moment later.
Faendal and I retreated into the narrow halls where this monster could not fit and filled the creature with arrows while it spewed web all over us. We fought to free ourselves and fire more arrows, but as long as we were in these narrow halls, and no smaller spider friends arrived, we were safe. Between each arrow fired, we managed to rip web from our legs and hands, keep ourselves free enough for the next shot, until the monstrous spider finally fell to its death. We freed our legs and feet from the accumulated web and proceeded into the large chamber to find out who had been shouting for help.

We found a man completely wound up in web that the spider had apparently been saving for later. He referred to himself as Arvel the Swift and was obviously a bandit. Before we freed him, I asked him about the Golden Claw and he told us that he not only had the claw, but understood how to use it to unlock the secret powers hidden within this tomb. Faendal and I exchanged a glance. Hidden power? He said if we helped cut him free of the web, he would not only give us the Claw, but show us how we could use it. I asked him to give us the Claw first, but he insisted it would be impossible to retrieve with all the web covering him. With a name like Arvel the Swift, I was expected a betrayal, but there was nothing else to be done. Faendal and I cut him free.

As soon as his feet hit the ground, Arvel the Swift swiftly set off down the tunnel behind him laughing at us for our stupidity. I began to chase after him, but Faendal grabbed me by the shoulder and spun me around. He asked simply, "Where is he going to go?" Faendal was right. I had gotten too caught up in the moment. I almost risked everything to chase a simple bandit into an underground tomb. Perhaps there were more spiders waiting to pounce, or worse. We proceeded cautiously through the halls as we had done before, and as it turned out there was much worse waiting for us below than giant spiders.

Not so Swift now, are you?
Arvel the Swift met his end before we could catch up to him. We found a group of ancient undead Nords standing over his dead body, and as carefully as before, Faendal and I crept forward to flank them and rain arrows into their bodies. We hoped it was enough to kill something that was supposed to be dead already, and thankfully it was. These draugr, as they are called in Skyrim, are not as powerful as they are repulsive. Still, we worried at any moment the rest of these corpses would wake up and be upon us, so we moved quickly and silently to Arvel's body where we found he did in fact have the Golden Dragon Claw in his possession. Victory was ours! We'd gotten what we had come for, but there was something nagging at both Faendal and I. What lay beyond? What treasure lay hidden within this ancient crypt that Arvel was so desperate to gain only for himself? What forbidden secret powers would we find if we pressed onward with the Claw?


We spoke of it for only a moment and agreed, we would continue forward. We expected to find more draugr littering the halls of the catacombs, but they seemed as easily dispatched as the previous bandits to our flanking tactics. We had little to lose and a secret, buried, Nord treasure to gain. We pressed on through the swinging axe traps, and the lumbering undead, ever vigilant to protect whatever they were buried with in the Bleak Falls Barrow.

Incidentally, Draugr have better lighting than Bandits.
We emerged somewhere deep in the mountains late into the evening and I realized we hadn't eaten, so we stopped to snack on some bread and fruit I'd brought with us. We ate quickly, eager to move on and be done with this dangerous adventure, but it was nice to stop for a brief respite. It allowed our nerves to calm down a bit and I was able to go on without jumping at every shadow. There were draugr out here, as well, but they were more agitated than the previous ones we'd encountered. They actually appeared to be patrolling rather than sleeping in their crypts. I'm not sure if "sleeping" is the correct word. Perhaps "idling" is more accurate. Anyway, we made our way carefully forward and managed to defeat all the draugr patrols without any incidents.

Fresh air is always welcome after the stench of an ancient crypt.
Once we made it through the open, mountain air, we found ourselves back inside another part of the temple. The architecture was more like the original temple entrance and less like the underground catacombs. This journey had taken us into the deep, hidden inner sanctum of this ancient temple. The modern Nords think this only a burial ground, but this was clearly an elaborate construct to worship one of the gods, and perhaps hide some secret, ultimate power. It was becoming clear that what had started out as a trip to get back a stolen artifact was now becoming quite a bit more for Faendal and I. We pushed through more patrols, and all the elaborate tricks and traps the inner sanctum threw at us. Finally we found ourselves at our goal.

Genjo at the Door of Destiny
We entered an elaborate hall with murals of an ancient time that ended with an ornately carved door which functioned like some kind of puzzle-box in order to open it. It also appeared to require the Golden Claw as a key to the whole device. I'd noticed similar symbols carved into the Claw itself so I compared them to the door. Sure enough the Claw held the clues to opening the door.After the turning the symbols on the door to match the ones on the Claw, and inserting the Claw into the "Claw-hole" I watched as the door mechanism whirred and in a series of impressive twists and turns, the door pulled back to reveal the protected chamber within.

Nothing could have prepared me for what happened next. As I made my way along the cold, stone pathways toward the altar before me, my eyes were drawn to the glowing, pulsating light emanating from the wall carved of the very rock behind the altar. Faendal later told me that there was no such light as far as he could remember. I was entranced by it, however, like a moth to a flame. I walked mindlessly toward the wall to reach out and touch the glowing characters etched into the stone, and just as my hands touched the stone surface I felt as if my mind exploded and my vision went black.

It's speaking to me...
When I regained my senses, I could tell Faendal was shaking me and shouting, though his voice sounded muffled and distant. Slowly my hearing returned and Faendal had spun me around to show me that a creature was emerging from the coffin near the altar. There was a guardian to this hallowed place. I shook my head to fight off the dizziness and help me focus. I readied my bow to take out whatever crawled out of this coffin, but unfortunately arrows were not enough for this incredibly dangerous draugr. Earlier I had thought and written they were more repugnant than powerful, but this one was equally powerful.

The undead warrior charged at us shouting words that seemed familiar somehow. They were words at the edge of my memory. They were words that lifted me off the ground, and threw me backwards against the wall, knocking some clarity into my thick skull. I was about to die. A power surged up inside me and I found my mind instantly focused like a knife. A surge of power ran through my spine and down my arms exploding in flames from my fingertips! I was capable of yet another spell I had previously been unaware of. I had set this monstrous draugr on fire. It howled in rage and chased after me as Faendal filled it with arrows. We continued our barrage of arrows and fire until the creature moved (nor shouted) any longer.

Genjo, the Fire-Wizard!
We had won.

We took a moment to recover then begin filling our pockets with anything that wasn't nailed down. The draugr overlord had been wielding a magical battle-axe, but was also carrying a heavy, carved stone with various designs and markings all over it. It seemed important, so I made sure to carry it back to Riverwood. Faendal and I didn't really take the time to look over much of what we had. We were too exhausted, so we decided we'd work out the details later of divvying up the loot. We were just happy to have the Golden Claw, discover the secret chambers of Bleak Barrow Falls and be headed back to our beds alive.

Fresh Air! I missed you!
It was deep in the night when we emerged from the temple into the mountains. Faendal and I decided we wouldn't bother waking up Lucan and Camilla, so we parted ways and went to sleep. I'm at the Sleeping Giant Inn now wondering about the things I've done and seen today. I summoned a spectral wolf and destroyed an undead overlord with flames that came from within me. What else am I capable of? I didn't know I had these powers in me until I was faced with death. Perhaps I should seek out a magic school to help me encourage these powers. I'd also like to find someone who can explain to me what happened at that wall behind the altar. What were those words I heard? Why did I see the wall glowing, but Faendal did not? All these things run through my mind tonight, but I'm to exhausted to think about it any longer. Tomorrow, I return the Golden Dragon Claw to the Riverwood Trader, and then I'm off to Whiterun and finally speak with the Jarl. Perhaps the Jarl will have more answers for me.

- Genjo, the Breton
21st of Last Seed, 4E 201  





The OOC Corner - Reader's Poll & Author's Notes

I'm sorry it took me a week to post this. I had planned to release it the day after my last poll ran out, but my wife and I discovered a new game that literally destroyed our free time last weekend. Thankfully, that addiction is back under control, though we're still playing frequently when we have the time. I apologize again for not getting Part 2 up sooner. 

Mods I'm running:
  • Craftable Arrows
  • Dynamic Merchants
  • Im's More Complex Needs
  • Camping
  • Realistic Lighting

The "Realistic Lighting" mod really makes dungeon delving difficult. Even when I post the screenshots, I often have to increase the exposure slightly so you can see what's going on. I'm sure none of you want to look at pictures of black screens (other than to impress upon you just how dark it is in an unlit cave). Fortunately, I'm well stocked on torches, but unfortunately that makes me more visible to my enemies. 
Genjo will be going to Whiterun when he wakes up, but please decide what skills he should develop.

What skill should Genjo develop?

No comments:

Post a Comment