Saturday, February 25, 2012

Genjo the Breton

My hand is trembling as I begin to write this journal. I’ve never bothered to keep any written records of my life but today was so extraordinary that I couldn’t just lay still and fall asleep without pouring it out on to paper. It was perhaps the most exceptional day of my entire life – and nearly my last! My neck hurts just thinking about it, but let me slow down and explain. 

Unpleasant Wake-up Call
My name is Genjo and I’m a Breton. I was on my way to Skyrim hoping to sell my wares when I was taken prisoner along the border. I don’t know how many days ago that was, but I awoke this morning with a severe headache in the back of a cart with several other men. I was told that I’d been arrested as part of an ambush to capture Ulrich Stormcloak and his rebel forces. It meant that where ever we were being taken didn't really matter, as we were about to be executed. The Empire was in a hurry to quell this rebellion and get Skyrim back to normal. Skyrim without the war was bad for my business, but then so was losing my head to this unfortunate mistake.

You Sure You Don't Want Ulrich First?
Although I’d have thought they want to kill Ulrich right away, some other Stormcloak volunteered to be first because he was in some kind of rush. I was chosen to be the second man on the chopping block. I had barely touched my head to the stone when a dragon – a real live dragon! – crashed down on the tower behind me and sent the Imperials running. Its shout knocked me down and clouded my vision, but when I was finally able to see straight, the Stormcloaks were trying to get me into the nearby tower for some shelter. We could hear the dragon outside tearing this town of Helgen apart and the Imperials trying to mount a defense against it.

Off the Chopping Block and into the Dragonfire
I was terrified. I scrambled through the town, following whoever urged me on. I ducked and weaved and hid like a coward. Dragons were supposed to be legends! Now there was one tearing down buildings and roasting Imperials to a crisp. It was too much for me too handle and I don't remember much else of Helgen.

I did manage to make my way to Helgen Keep where the Stormcloak from the cart and the Imperial who sentenced me to death both beckoned me to follow them to safety. I felt for a moment that I was making a political decision and fumbled trying to decide who to follow – but my indecision was short-lived as I was prompted to action. The dragon landed nearby and a plume of fire exploded from its mouth all around me, singing my face and arms. I stumbled into the keep behind the Stormcloak, who happened to be closer to the shelter of the stone fort. I also felt he was the safer choice because he hadn’t tried to take my head just a few moments ago. 

Aforementioned: Dragonfire
The man was named Ralof and he freed me from my bonds. I managed to pick up a dagger that one of his Stormcloak mates had on their belt, but I didn’t feel comfortable taking anything else that belonged to him. It just felt wrong. I followed Ralof through the keep where we met up with other Stormcloaks, and ultimately made our way out of Helgen through a subterranean passageway. I was armed only with a dagger and didn’t engage in any fighting because, I’m sad to admit, I was scared. As we were heading out of the cave, Ralof thrust a bow and some arrows into my hands saying I could try and shoot a bear sleeping in our path if I was feeling up to it (is this guy crazy?). I opted to sneak out and Ralof followed me.

That’s how I escaped Imperial execution and death by dragon at Helgen earlier today. 

Outside the cave, Ralof suggested we split up and head for Riverwood where he had family. He must have changed his mind, though, because he followed me all the way to the town. He’s kind of a weird guy. He tried to convince me to join the Stormcloaks as we walked, but I couldn’t stop thinking about the dragon and how it had helped save my life. My mind was scattered and I was not in the mood to talk about local politics, so I let Ralof wander on ahead. I stopped to admire the river and noticed him getting attacked by two wolves, but did nothing to help. I couldn’t bring myself to act I was so shaken. 

Ralof: 2, Wolves: 0
When I did get moving again, I stopped to skin the wolves Ralof had left in the road and then followed him into town. I met his sister, Gerdur, and brother-in-law, Hod. They were nice and invited me to stay with them as long as I wanted. Seeing as it was already nighttime when I wandered into town, I did decide to stay. We ate seared slaughterfish and sat around quietly recounting the events of the day. Ralof spoke of the Stormcloaks and their cause. Hod wanted to know everything there was to know about the dragon. Gerdur encouraged me to take this news to the Yarl of Whiterun in order to reinforce their small town with some troops in case the dragon decided to make a snack of it. The day had been too much for me, so I couldn't continue to stay up and chat. I excused myself to settle down for the night and write about the day to clear my thoughts. 

Ralof, Gerdur and Hod
A question remains, what will I do tomorrow? The Imperials took everything I had at the border. The only possessions I own now are a few flasks of water, these rags on my back, a dagger and a bow with some arrows. I don't have a septim to my name and I'm not about to impose on Gerdur and her family any more. Not to mention, I'm tired of being associated with these Stormcloaks. It's bad for my health. Tomorrow, I will have to find a way to turn 12 iron arrows into a night's meal and lodging at the inn anyway I can. 

- Genjo, the Breton
17th of Last Seed, 4E 201




The OOC Corner - Reader's Poll & Author's Notes

Genjo currently has 0 Septims, 12 Iron Arrows, a Longbow and an Iron Dagger.
Due to mods installed, he is required to eat and sleep certain amounts everyday.
Thus he'll need enough to support himself for meals and lodging.

Vote in on Genjo's future attempts at success at a new life!




Post any questions, concerns, or justifications in the comments. Thanks.


1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to read more on this, seems like a nifty idea.

    ReplyDelete